Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, star of Home Dems’ freshman class, is utilizing her social-media mastery and her fearless organizing intuition to offer a extra activist face to the brand new Congress even earlier than she’s sworn in.
The massive image: Very unusually for a first-year lawmaker, not to mention a victor who hasn’t even in workplace but, Ocasio-Cortez has repeatedly pushed information because the midterms, together with these tweets yesterday from lawmakers’ freshman orientation at Harvard Kennedy Faculty’s Institute of Politics:
- “Once I mentioned that our organizing doesn’t finish with an election, I meant it.”
- “Our ‘bipartisan’ Congressional orientation is cohosted by a company lobbyist group. Different members have quietly expressed to me their concern that this wasn’t informed to us upfront. Lobbyists are right here. Goldman Sachs is right here. The place‘s labor? Activists? Frontline neighborhood leaders?”
She’s additionally on observe to be probably the most well-known Home Democrat after Speaker-designate Pelosi.
- Enjoyable reality: Ocasio-Cortez has as many Twitter followers as the opposite incoming 60 Democratic freshman Home members mixed, in response to knowledge from Mehlman Castagnetti Rosen & Thomas.
However scrutiny will include that prime profile … The WashPost’s “Reality Checker” gave her 4 Pinocchios this week below the headline, “Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s $21 trillion mistake.”
- In a tweet, she had advised making use of “$21T in Pentagon accounting errors” to Medicare for All. She had cited the liberal journal The Nation.
- However The Submit mentioned that’s “not one huge pot of dormant cash accumulating mud someplace. It’s the sum of all transactions — each inflows and outflows — for which the Protection Division didn’t have ample documentation.”
Be sensible: Search for Pelosi to offer a ton of area to her vocal, activist freshmen — so long as she would not assume they’re hurting total caucus efforts, or doing something that would make it tougher to maintain the bulk.