Military

Okinawa ‘no’ vote won’t delay US base move: Japan PM

Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Monday that the controversial relocation of a US military base in Okinawa will not be delayed despite a referendum that saw voters reject the move.

“It has been 20 years since Japan and the US agreed” to relocate the Futenma base, Abe said. “We cannot delay this any further.”

His comments came after voters in Okinawa rejected the relocation plan in a non-binding referendum over the weekend.

Some 72 percent voted against the move, with 19 percent in favour in a vote that drew 52 percent of eligible voters, officials said.

Abe said he accepted the outcome “sincerely” and would seek “understanding” from Okinawa residents on his decision to move forward with the relocation.

“We have spent many years holding dialogue with people in the prefecture. We will continue our dialogue so that we can gain their understanding,” Abe said.

“Reducing the burden of Okinawa is a major responsibility for the central government… we will continue our utmost efforts towards a reduction of the burden related to hosting bases.”

Okinawa accounts for less than one percent of Japan’s total land area, but it reluctantly hosts more than half of the approximately 47,000 American military personnel.

The heavy US military presence has frustrated local residents with problems ranging from noise and military accidents to crime involving base residents.

To ease tensions, the United States and Japan agreed in 1996 to move Futenma from its current heavily populated location to a remote coastal site being built partly through land reclamation.

Opponents of the move want to see the base relocated outside of Okinawa, arguing responsibility for hosting US troops should be more evenly spread across Japan.

Okinawa residents have elected governors opposed to the move, including incumbent Denny Tamaki, who came into office last year.

But Abe’s government has shown no sign of willingness to reconsider.

Related Links

Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com



Thanks for being here;

We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook – our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don’t have a paywall – with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.


SpaceDaily Contributor

$5 Billed Once

credit card or paypal


SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly

paypal only




SUPERPOWERS

US, Japan, Australia start Cope North 2019 at Guam air base

Washington (UPI) Feb 21, 2019


Nearly 100 aircraft and 3,000 personnel from the United States, Japan and Australia are participating in a joint exercise from Andersen Air Force Base in Guam.
Cope North 2019, which started Monday and is scheduled to run through March 8, involves the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps, Japan Air Self-Defense Force and Royal Australian Air Force, according to a U.S. Pacific Forces news release. It is the forces’ largest multilateral exercise.
“The exercise‘s focus on humanitari … read more


Show More

Leave a Reply

Back to top button

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!