Military

North Korea says US denuclearization talks ‘out of negotiation table’

North Korea on Saturday said denuclearization talks with the United States were “out of the negotiation table,” while slamming European UN Security Council members who had recently denounced its “provocative” ballistic missile launches.



The statement from North Korea‘s ambassador to the UN Kim Song came after Belgium, Estonia, France, Germany, Poland and the United Kingdom on Wednesday condemned North Korea‘s “continued testing of ballistic missiles,” and called for strict enforcement of sanctions against Pyongyang.



Referring to the “paranoia” of the Europeans and “the hostile policy” of the United States in recent months, Song said North Korea does “not need to have lengthy talks with the US now and the denuclearization is already gone out of the negotiation table.”



Song also called the European statement “another serious provocation,” saying North Korea is exercising “righteous measures of strengthening national defense capabilities.”



“As these six EU member states are making much trouble to play the role of pet dog of the United States in recent months, one cannot but wonder what do they get in return for currying favor with” Washington,” the statement continued.



In their statement, European powers noted that Pyongyang has carried out “13 ballistic missile launches since May,” the most recent of which was on November 28.



Nuclear talks between Pyongyang and Washington are stalled with a looming end-of-year deadline set by North Korea for some kind of US concession.



UN diplomats fear that North Korea will resume long-range nuclear or ballistic tests if no progress is made soon.



Trump and Moon discuss maintaining talks with North: Seoul
Seoul (AFP) Dec 7, 2019 -
South Korea‘s President Moon Jae-in and US President Donald Trump agreed during a phone conversation to maintain dialogue with the nuclear-armed North, Seoul said Saturday, with the two allies noting the situation had become “grave”.



Denuclearisation negotiations have been at a standstill since a summit in Hanoi broke up in February and pressure is rising as an end-of-year deadline to offer concessions, set by Pyongyang for Washington, approaches.



The 30-minute talk was the first conversation between the US President and the South Korean leader since they met at the UN General Assembly in New York in September.



“The two leaders shared an assessment that the current situation on the Korean peninsula is grave,” said Ko Min-jung, the spokeswoman of the South’s presidential office.



“They agreed momentum for dialogue to achieve prompt results from denuclearisation negotiations should be continued,” she went on to say, adding that Trump had requested the call.



The discussion came after a week in which exchanges between Trump and North Korea raised the prospect of a return to a war of words, culminating in Pyongyang’s threats to resume referring to the US president as a “dotard” and to take military action if the US military moves against it.



The South Korean leader was instrumental in brokering the landmark summit between Trump and Kim in Singapore last year which produced only a vaguely worded pledge about denuclearisation.

Related Links

Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com
Learn about missile defense at SpaceWar.com
All about missiles at SpaceWar.com
Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com



Thanks for being here;

We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook – our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don’t have a paywall – with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.


SpaceDaily Contributor

$5 Billed Once

credit card or paypal


SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly

paypal only




NUKEWARS

N.Korea warns Trump it will use ‘corresponding’ force if attacked

Seoul (AFP) Dec 4, 2019

North Korea on Wednesday warned that if the United States used military force against Pyongyang it would take “prompt corresponding actions at any level”, in response to comments by US President Donald Trump.

Denuclearisation negotiations between Pyongyang and Washington have been deadlocked since a summit in Hanoi broke up in February, and the renewed threats come as a deadline set by Pyongyang for fresh concessions approaches.

Trump on Tuesday indicated that military action was still possible … read more


Show More
Back to top button

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

Close