Military

France, Australia recommit to troubled subs deal

France and Australia on Friday reaffirmed their “full commitment” to ensuring local firms play a role in building Australia‘s next generation submarines, after the main French contractor suggested Australian industry was not up to the job.

French Defence Minister Florence Parly met counterpart Linda Reynolds on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference after the comments by French shipbuilder Naval Group sparked outrage.

“Both of us reaffirmed our full commitment to the programme, in particular with respect to the schedule and Australian industry capability,” they said in a joint statement.

“We are committed to work together to make it a success,” they said, adding that the massive project worth tens of billions of euros (dollars) was key to the countries’ strategic ties.

The Naval Group consortium, partly owned by the French state, was chosen in 2016 to design and build 12 attack-class submarines for the Australian navy.

The deal is Australia‘s largest ever defence procurement project and is expected to create some 2,800 jobs in the country, alongside some 500 in France.

The first submarine is slated for delivery in 2032.

But Naval Group Australia chief executive John Davis raised doubts about the project after saying in a recent interview that Australian involvement could be lower than anticipated.

He told The Australian newspaper that the subs had “unique requirements” and there was “a lot more work to be done than we anticipated” in finding the necessary local expertise.

Reynolds said she was “disappointed” by the comments.

The Naval Group has since moved to play down the controversy, saying it had already brought 137 Australian subcontractors on board.

“Everything is being done to ensure that the Australian industry is totally involved,” it said on Friday.

Australia hopes the new submarine fleet will serve as a credible deterrence in the region.

It comes amid growing alarm over increased Chinese assertiveness, particularly in the disputed South China Sea, where Beijing is building up its military presence.

vl-mrb/mfp/bmm

NAVAL GROUP

Related Links

Learn about the Superpowers of the 21st Century at SpaceWar.com
Learn about nuclear weapons doctrine and defense at SpaceWar.com



Thanks for being here;

We need your help. The SpaceDaily news network continues to grow but revenues have never been harder to maintain.

With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook – our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don’t have a paywall – with those annoying usernames and passwords.

Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.

If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.


SpaceDaily Contributor

$5 Billed Once

credit card or paypal


SpaceDaily Monthly Supporter
$5 Billed Monthly

paypal only




SUPERPOWERS

Trump ‘fine’ with end of Philippines military pact

Washington (AFP) Feb 12, 2020


US President Donald Trump dismissed concerns Wednesday about the Philippines canceling a major military accord, saying the decision would save Americans money.

The 1998 Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) created a legal framework for the presence of US troops in the Philippines and for organizing joint military exercises.

Manila announced its decision Tuesday – a move the US embassy in the Philippines called a “serious step” – touching off a six-month countdown to the end of the deal.

“If … read more


Show More
Back to top button

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!

Close